Using A Professional Team Building Company vs. DIY
A lot of people ask us why using a professional team building company is better than doing it themselves – it’s not that hard, right? To answer that question, I need to flashback to when I first started out in this business…
I used to get upset when people said my recreation job was a cakewalk. “They don’t know how hard I work!” I lamented to my boss. To which she wisely replied, “If you’re doing it right, you make it look easy. Just smile and nod when they make comments like that because it’s actually a compliment that you’re doing a great job. And, you’ll never convince them otherwise anyways.”
So yes, you can do your own team building event. But, it won’t be easy. And, it may be fraught with pitfalls. Here’s why using a professional team building company like ours is best. It’s because we know:
How to put the spotlight on your objectives.
For instance, when we write content for a Not Your Typical Game Show team building event, you provide us with a mish-mash of content and then we sculpt it into challenges. We’re in the middle of creating charitable game show content right now and the client wants the challenges to spotlight the domestic violence charity benefitting from the event. How long would it take you to come up with 90 minutes of content (that’s 45 different challenges) that drives home the charity’s message, wraps in the donations and is fun for the attendees? Because we do it all of the time, we can easily get in the zone and script the entire show in a day. So, using a professional team building company saves you time.
How to do it at the same price (if not cheaper) than you can yourself without you having to do the work.
Our team building events are not inexpensive. However, you begin to realize how much the event would cost you when you start adding up the cost of:
- Buying all of the equipment brand new – we have a warehouse of equipment we charge rental rates for at events.
- Hiring an emcee, event assistants and a DJ – our professionals already work for us and are ready to go. And, they are professionals. It’s not always easy to find reliable and talented staff in every city you’re hosting an event in. But, we have a network of people who work with us around the world.
- Vendor materials – we have partnerships with printers, sign companies, iPad rental agencies and more. Because of this, we get discounted rates you get to tap into when you hire us.
- Shipping and storing all of the event equipment – we have a van and a warehouse where we can hold, prep and bring back all of the items used in your event.
- Your time – it takes days to plan a great event. Do you really want to add this onto the million other things that are on your plate?
So, using a professional team building company saves you money.
What you can and cannot do.
Want to have teams compete in a culinary competition and then eat what they cook? We know that most venues simply won’t allow it because of food safety laws and because they lose revenue on food and beverage. Something like our Icing on the Cake event where they decorate cakes is still a culinary competition, but the venue won’t get upset because nobody is eating the cakes. So, using a professional team building company saves you from making a faux pas.
The potential pitfalls.
For instance, we know what you should and should not do when creating a scavenger hunt. We’ve heard stories of what’s gone awry when teams have been asked to take a picture inside a hospital operating room (that idea flatlined). And, did you know that most shopping malls don’t allow scavenger hunts at their properties? If they’ve asked a troop of Girl Scouts to vacate the premises (true story), trust us they’ll ask your group to do so as well. So, using a professional team building company saves you from potential embarrassment.
That’s why using a professional team building company makes sense.
And, we hope that you’ll choose us because the three Fs are what makes Wildly Different in particular easy to work with:
- We’re fast. It gives us heartburn if we don’t get back to our clients immediately! And, we always meet our deadlines.
- We’re flexible. Need the two-hour event to happen in one? No problem. Want to change a game to incorporate your products, make your CEO an integral part of the event, or incorporate your boss’ pet teacup poodle? Of course we can make that happen!
- We’re friendly. We believe in creating relationships with our clients, which is why you’ll always work with someone from our core team, not get farmed out to any freelancer who is available.